A major goal of this article is to spread awareness about all prevalent forms of gross discrimination in this world!
The thought of this write-up was triggered soon after the grossly-violent August’17 Charlottesville rally (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite_the_Right_rally).
Yes, tragically, racism still exists in this world, and so does many other forms of "need-to-end-soon" gross discrimination.
Apparently, from time to time, we have to talk about these and implement new ways to counter them - as they never seems to go away from this world!
First of all, how is "racism" precisely defined? I leave that for you to research on (i.e., https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism). At the very least, I would say it is tied to any action originating from the belief that one race is superior to another in some context.
And, how BAD "racism" is today and has been in history? That is also a very good topic to research on. BTW, talking of history, one of the most extreme cases of racism that is often talked about is obviously Holocaust (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust) - in which millions of Jews were killed, because they were considered as an inferior race by Hitler.
In current times, you may have heard of many personal stories of racism. One mind-blowing story that I read was the claims of Ashley Graham - http://time.com/4890516/ashley-graham-on-white-privilege/, on how the color of her skin helped in her modeling career.
(Disclaimer:- I have not fact-checked all her statements. Here, I just wanted to share her claims that are definitely worth studying).
BTW, here in this article, I will briefly touch on other forms of prevalent gross discrimination too.
Some gross examples of discrimination that we see in the world:-
- Unfair treatment because of one's skin color
- Unfair treatment because of one's gender
- Unfair treatment because of sexual orientation
- Unfair treatment because of one's caste in India
- Unfair treatment because of one’s country of origin
- Unfair treatment because of one’s religion beliefs
- Unfair treatment of refugees
- Why did the refugees in the ongoing middle-east crises have to go through all the horrible things they have been going through? Why were/are they not welcome in many places?
- Unfair treatment because of one’s financial / social status
- i.e., CEO/Sports-celebrity vs Janitor - this could be one of the most prevalent - maybe not much talked of - yet very shameful form of discrimination http://devos20xx.blogspot.com/2017/08/is-life-fair-gross-disparities.html
- Do kids of rich parent have more privileges (in terms of opportunities, healthcare, etc.) than kids of poor?
Also, I will briefly mention some scripture verses that counter the spirit of discrimination:-
- “Love your neighbor as YOURSELF” (Mark 12:31)
- “Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)
- Learn to look at people the way God looks at.
- “So the last will be first, and the first last” (Matthew 20:16)
Conclusion - The zillion dollar question remains: “How do we end racism and other forms of prevalent gross discrimination in this world?”. Let us start with spreading awareness …